Friday, June 6, 2014

Floral Immersion: Basic I and II, Part 1

Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania is a world-renowned horticultural oasis.  After being gifted a membership to the gardens by my sweet fiancé for my birthday, we’ve spent lots of time getting to know the gardens. 

One perk of membership is that there are often members-only events at the gardens, and extensions during certain hours for visiting.  Another wonderful perk is a discount on classes at their continuing education center.  I had known about a floral design line of coursework for some time before becoming a member, but was unfortunately unable to enroll.  Classes are kept small, and they fill up quickly due to the presence world-class instructors. 

As soon as registration opened up for the Spring 2014 season, I immediately logged in to their student portal and enrolled in their floral intensive beginner’s course.  The class was a great choice for two initial reasons: the Beginning Floral Design I and II were packaged together, so it was a four day long intensive, and I could apply the credit for the course towards a certification program.  I am a firm believer in education for adults just as much as for children.

When I arrived at the building in which the class was taking place, I was immediately greeted by volunteers, fellow attendees, and my first instructor: Jane Godshalk.  Each place at the table was set with a large bag with the Longwood Gardens logo on it, and floral tools were laid near buckets of greens for each student. 

Throughout the duration of the course, I made 17 different floral designs.  Get ready to see some pretty soon!


Here's one corsage I made on the last day of the class.  
Definitely one of my favorite creations!  


Love and light,

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment