Sunday, November 3, 2013

Summer Floral Immersion: Basic I and II

Florals are a design element for which I have had a long time love.  I have always thought that fresh flowers are an instant way to brighten a room and make a living space feel more welcoming.  The best grocery store flowers I've ever found have consistently been from Trader Joe's.  They always have a vast selection of seasonal blooms as well as locally grown New Jersey flowers during the summer months.  Their flowers are also extremely affordable - a large beautiful mixed bouquet costs less than $10.  Can't be beat!

The local florist in my area of Philadelphia also has a large array of flowers that customers are allowed to hand select when purchasing from the shop.  I've frequented this shop many times and am always welcomed to choose any bloom I desire.

In order to better hone my existing floral arranging skills and learn more about such methods, I will be attending a floral design class at Longwood Gardens in May of 2014.  I will be enrolling in the Summer Floral Immerson: Basic I and II class.  It is a four day class, with 10 hours of instruction in each day.  According to the course selection guide for Longwood's continuing education programs, many areas of floral design will be covered, including materials and instruments, blooms and usage, and sustainable design strategies.

The four day course will definitely be a thorough and fulfilling learning experience, one that I have long awaited.  I attempted to enroll in floral design classes over the summer this year, but Longwood's courses fill up very quickly, given the clout of their continuing education certifications and the prestige of the Gardens themselves.  Registration begins November 11, and you'd better believe that my alarm will be on to remind me to register for such a great opportunity.

Take a peek at their course selection guide, and see if anything peaks your interest!

Love and Light,

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment