Monday, March 9, 2015

A Question of Demographic

So a lot of things have happened this past week.  A few firsts.



The most exciting, my first solo consultation - on the phone at that!  The couple was just the sweetest.  They live in New York City, but are getting married at an arboretum in Philadelphia.  Met here in the city, and still have ties to it, may eventually return permanently.  Their palette is a far cry from the constant dusty-miller-ivory-blush that I dread hearing.  There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not interesting anymore.  But blue bonnets as a nod to the groom's home state of Texas in the boutonnieres?  That's interesting.  And I love it.  It's sentimental and authentic and thoughtful.  Keep those ideas coming.

Today I have another consultation, but in person this time.  Also alone.  I'm excited.  I like talking to people who want large quantities of flowers.  I like to get excited with them.

It was the first wedding of the year for us at the shop on Saturday night.  Today I get to go back to the venue and pick up all of the pieces.  But there were lots of taper candles, and I'm curious to see how "dripless" they are.  It's all about being vertical, and not leaning.

Another first this week - I was contacted by a dear friend to provide flowers for a bachelorette/bridal shower weekend in September.  It's being held in my old college town, and I am already really excited about it.  I don't want to divulge too much on here, in case the bride-to-be reads the blog.



Another personal first was offering a flower class for my upcoming trip home to Pittsburgh.  However, the only person who has expressed interest in attending is my mother.  I'm planning on bringing some really amazing flowers to her anyway, to show her a bit of what's happening in my world, in person.  But currently, enrollment is essentially at zero percent.  And why?

I attribute it being so low to the demographics of who views my blog or other social media.  Yes, I am capable of running a class, and there's no question that there are people out there somewhere who are interested in attending.  But in terms of demographics, that may not be who I'm currently reaching.  Another element to examine is the cost of the class.  And the cost of flowers in general.  Which deserves its own series of posts.



I struggle in wanting to educate people about the true cost of flowers, and then flipping and thinking that they should just educate themselves if they care enough, and that it's not really something I care to do at this time.  Generally because most people out there either have no idea about what flowers cost, or they think that they do but are actually completely wrong.  Perhaps misled is a better (nicer) way of saying it.  But that's a post for another time, and I honestly don't know where to start on it.  What do you want to hear about, on the topic of the true cost of flowers?

Love and light,

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment