Monday, September 15, 2014

Ten Life Changing Books

I was tagged by a friend on Facebook almost two weeks ago to post ten books that have been influential in my life in some way.  I thought I'd post it here, so I would have more space to write.

1) Seven by Jen Hatmaker
  • The author discusses her experimental simplification of seven different areas of her life.  A motivating study in stuff and excess and the ability to be happier with less.

2) Over-Dressed by Elizabeth L. Cline
  • Where does our clothing come from?  Who makes it?  Are they treated fairly?  This book coupled with Seven will motivate you to change your consumption habits for the good of yourself and others.

3) The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
  • A young boy must make a real journey through stories that he has read in his beloved books.  The characters can be awful but still deserve pity, and nobody has to be what they seem they are.

4) The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

  • A work of fiction.  But it's truly a cautionary tale of how women can be used as chattel.  Makes me want to volunteer again in support of women's rights.

5) The Road Less Travelled by M. Scott Peck, M.D.

  • A wonderful secular look into the psychology of love and spirituality.  Kind of a self-help book, good for analyzing ones self and relationships.

6) The Selection series by Keira Cass

  • A light dystopian fiction series for teens.  But awesome nonetheless.  Thirty-five young women are selected in a competition to leave their current caste for a life of royalty.  How are they selected?  And do they have what it takes to become queen?

7) Dubliners by James Joyce

  • Quite possibly my favorite reading that was ever school assigned.  Short stories that enlighten us to the differences in the lives of those in Dublin, in the world of James Joyce.

8) Othello by William Shakespeare

  • One of my favorite Shakespearean plays.  Followed closely by King Lear.  I took a class that focused on Shakespeare while at Penn State, and it was taught by one of the most wonderful professors that I ever had.  He was a kindhearted and jovial older man, and had the most pleasant attitude at all times.  His love for Shakespeare's work was apparent, and it was a joy to learn from him.

9) Quiet by Susan Cain

  • I was told many times as a child that I was too sensitive.  As an adult, perceived as standoffish with resting bitchface.  I'm just introverted.

10) ...what should I read next?

Love and light,

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment