Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Getting Un-Fancy

About a month ago, I stumbled upon a really fantastic fashion blog.  Before I divulge any more details, I feel that I really need to say that my thoughts about fashion and clothing have changed a lot in the past few years.


On a hike on the Wissahickon Trail, wearing my absolute favorite item.
Red rose scarf from Terrain.

If you'd spoken to me a year ago, I would have said that I didn't care about fashion or personal style, as long as I was comfortable and maintained a professional appearance.  I would have also told you (and to this day, still believe) that I was wearing a lot of high-quality hand me downs from my mother.  Happily, we're the same size in clothing sometimes, which really set me up for a good starter set of clothes for a professional wardrobe.  However, I would have said little to nothing about what my personal style was.  Honestly, I'm still figuring that out!  With the help of some virtual inspiration and guidance, I'm getting there.

Enter Caroline of Caroline Joy Photography and, her newest venture, Un-Fancy.

Un-Fancy is a blog in which Caroline displays and documents her capsule wardrobe, and the outfits that she creates during each capsule season.

I know what you're thinking - what the heck is a capsule wardrobe?

There are several different definitions that you can find online.  Loosely, a capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing pieces that can be interchanged efficiently, to create numerous different outfits. But isn't that any wardrobe?

The definition that you'll find most often today is that a capsule wardrobe is a compilation of pieces of clothing, ranging from 33 to 37 items, that the individual wears in a season.  Spring's capsule would be different than autumn's capsule, for example, because of the temperature difference (at least in my neck of the woods).  If you want to see another definition, check out Caroline's definition and this article too.

When I began reading up on this idea, the first thing that went through my head was, "Wow.  That sounds like a lot of clothing for just one season!"

The second thing I thought was, "I want to love all of my clothes, and right now, I could probably donate some things that I haven't recently worn."

Want to know what I did after that?  In my next blog post about my capsule wardrobe, I'll be talking about the pitfall I fell into with my capsule wardrobe before I even truly got started.

Love and light,

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment